Sunday, May 2, 2010

Bubble and Squeak Cakes with Sauteed Bok Choy

So, this basic recipe is from Vegan Yum Yum, which as far as I can tell does not have a real website anymore. Or my computer just doesn't like their website. But I got this recipe off their iPhone app. It's basically mashed potatoes mixed with shredded boiled brussels sprouts and flour, then fried up as cakes. And the bok choy is just sliced up and steamed, then topped with a basic ume plum vinaigrette (olive oil, ume plum vinegar, salt and pepper) and shoyu-toasted sunflower seeds.

Overall? Delicious. Wonderful. Filling. However, there are definitely things i would change. First of all, I think the cakes needed some help staying together. I didn't follow the recipe exactly however since I only had one potato, so I can't blame the recipe. I think however that it needed some binding ingredient or maybe just more flour. But I thought the addition of the brussels sprouts was game-changing. It just made such a difference in flavor and texture. And it'd probably be even better with fresh brussels sprouts. As for the bok choy, I really want to find BABY bok choy and steam that. And I want a real steamer basket as opposed to the colander-pot contraption I'm using now. Also, I did not chop the bok choy stems into small enough piece and I got impatient waiting for it to steam, so it was a bit too tough. The vinaigrette and the sunflower seeds however were delicious and worked really well together as the vinaigrette is a bit sweet and the sunflower seeds were smoky and salty. This was also an appealingly light meal, with no heavy protein, but still substantial enough to be filling. Yum. I would definitely make the cakes again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment